Metal + Gemstone Care
CLJ is nickel free (except 14K white gold) and arrives with a complimentary small cleaning cloth, anti-tarnish tabs, and care card.
In addition to the cleaning cloth, there are other ways to keeping your jewelry looking new and fresh for a lifetime.
- Avoid swimming pools, spas, chlorine, yard-work and contact sports while wearing your jewelry.
- Wear after applying perfume, makeup, and lotions.
- Remove before bathing.
- Hang necklaces to prevent twisting, tangling and bending.
- Securely store your jewelry inside a jewelry box or small plastic baggie.
- If necessary, clean jewelry by washing with warm water and a mild soap (note this will remove any original patina from oxidized jewelry at the time the piece was fabricated), blot dry with a lint-free or jewelry cleaning cloth.
There are five types of recycled metals used in Cindy Liebel Jewelry designs...
- Sterling Silver (bright + charcoal)
- Argentium Silver (bright + charcoal)
- 14K Gold (yellow, rose and white)
- 14K Gold Fill (yellow and rose)
- Titanium (grey)
Here's a natural way to clean your sterling and Argentium silver jewelry at home without harsh chemicals.
- Line a tray with aluminum foil, shiny side facing up.
- Add your tarnished jewelry to the foil, be sure to not crowd the jewelry and do not allow jewelry to touch.
- Heat enough water to cover jewelry.
- Add baking soda up to 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of sea salt to boiling water and stir until dissolved using a wooden spoon.
- Carefully pour the into tray of jewelry.
- Bubbles will appear and lift away from the tarnished jewelry.
- Once cool, remove the jewelry and rinse with warm water.
- If any tarnish is still present, repeat process using a new sheet of aluminum foil... Or use a soft toothbrush and soapy water to remove excess or use a soft micro fiber or polishing cloth towel to remove excess.
- Thoroughly blot jewelry dry and store in an airtight container or display.
You can also try our new CLJ biodegradable travel sized jewelry cleaner. I have found it doesn't remove the charcoal finish from jewelry.
Sterling silver has 92.5% pure silver, the rest is copper and is naturally prone to tarnishing. Because sterling silver is a soft metal, do not use a regular toothbrush to clean. Instead, try using a soft, nonabrasive sponge or an infant toothbrush and warm water with a mile soap to remove any grit or dirt.
Argentium combats tarnishing, where sterling naturally oxidizes. Argentium contains 93.5% - 96% pure silver and contains small amounts of germanium, allowing the precious metal to have a lasting silver finish. As with all precious metal jewelry, properly clean Argentium pieces using lukewarm, soapy water, rinse, and pat dry with a soft cloth to maintain it's luster.
Charcoal Silver jewelry is made with Sterling and Argentium silver. To achieve the black, gunmetal look, the metal pieces are dipped in a heated patina bath to blacken the silver. Patina is a surface treatment, so the blacken affect will eventually dull or wear off overtime. Simply use a mild soap, warm water and your fingers to gently clean your oxidized jewelry. I'm happy to re-oxidize your jewelry at any time, just pay shipping.
There are a variety of gold karats 10K, 14K, 18K, 22K and 24K. The higher the karat the brighter the gold and purity and CLJ incorporates 14K gold in various jewelry designs. 14K yellow gold has a beautiful warm glow. It has 58.3% gold and 41.7% is an alloy and is hypoallergenic for most. 14K white gold has nickel Karat gold is really easy to clean using polishing clothes or warm, mild soapy water with a soft cloth to keep them fresh and clean. Solid gold will never fade or tarnish and is made to last a lifetime passed down for many generations.
Gold-filled is a great alternative to solid gold. Gold fill jewelry has a solid layer of 14K gold bounded over a base metal such as bronze or brass, sometimes copper. 14K gold-filled is hypoallergenic, lasts forever if well cared for. Clean gold-filled jewelry keeps it shine by using 100% polishing or microfiber cloths. Store in an airtight container to maintain it's luster.
Titanium is made from pure medical grade #1 titanium, containing no alloys. This option is great for those who can't wear any precious metals, stainless steel, base metals or because they like the satin grey color of the metal. Keep your titanium jewelry clean with these simple steps.
- Add lukewarm water and mild dishwashing liquid to a small bowl.
- For five minutes, soak titanium jewelry in warm, soapy solution.
- Gently remove any noticeable dirt with a soft cloth, such as, micro cloth.
- Rinse with warm water and dry with a clean towel (air drying titanium jewelry may cause water spots)
Learn more about Titanium on the designer diary.
If you absolutely can not get the shine back, contact me to begin the jewelry cleaning process.
Diamonds are the hardest mineral and can only be scratched by other diamonds. This makes wear jewelry with diamonds durable for daily wear. Cleaning diamond jewelry is easy, gently wash using warm water and mild soap (a soft toothbrush if necessary), then wipe clean with a soft microfiber or jewelry cleaning cloth to restore its shine. Safe to use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Sapphires, Rubies, Moissanites
These gemstones are hard, non-porous stones, they are durable and perfect for daily wear like diamonds. Clean them with mild soap and warm water and gently scrub them with a soft microfiber cloth. Usually safe to use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Garnets, Moonstones, Tourmalines, Peridot, Aquamarine, Topaz, Spinels
These gemstones are soft, non-porous, they are great for daily wear, but do require extra care and not suitable to be worn with heavy activity such as working out, yard work, hard labor, etc. (may scratch or chip). Gently clean with mild soap and warm water, and use a microfiber cloth to blot dry. Usually safe to use an ultrasonic cleaner.
A soft porous gemstone like Emeralds require extra care. Avoid the use of lotions and perfumes before wearing emerald jewelry. Use a soft, moderately damp microfiber cloth to wipe them clean. NOT safe to use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Read the Summer Jewelry Care Tips blog post
© 2014-2023 Cindy Liebel Jewelry LLC All rights reserved